This is the recap of our guest appearance on the Nappturalite Radio Show. The show was about transitioning from permed hair to natural hair and the gist of the discussion was on how to prevent dryness and retain moisture. Here is the recap:
- Do not use petrolatum-it blocks the absorption of moisture
- Do not use mineral oil-it blocks the absorption of moisture
- Do not over use silicone (in shampoos, conditioners, or styling products) -it blocks the absorption of moisture. Only use them for special occasions.
- Do not use SLS-it is the same detergent used to wash cars at the car was, and it dries the hairout by stripping out your natural sebum (oil). Instead, use CUSH’s no-poo-Hydratation Supreme Conditioning Shampoo
- Do not use Betaine-it dries the hair
- Do not use alcohol based gels-these are very drying and damaging (SD alcohol, SD alcohol 40, Alcohol denat, Propanol, Propyl alcohol and Isopropyl alcohol)
- Do pre-shampoo your hair with oils that penetrate the hair shaft like avocado oil, argan oil, and coconut oil, etc… These oils have a small molecular structure that can penetrate the hair shaft.
- Do use a shampoo that is hydrating and is a “no poo.” These shampoos are very gentle on the hair and do not strip away the natural sebum.
- Do use a deep conditioner-preferably a leave-in. Again, moisture, moisture, moisture. Try to get it from everywhere. CUSH’s Huile Supreme Styling Cream is a great choice.
- Do use a reconstructor once a month to add structure back into the hair.
- Do Use a moisturizing sprit as needed.
- Do use a clarifying shampoo if you have applied silicone to you hair.
If you don’t have a regimen or your current regimen is not adequately performing-check out CUSH’s Moisturize and Repair Hair Regimen: